Thursday 3 January 2008

Rome


And now, for a few blips from Rome from the book Working IX to V: orgy planners, funeral clowns, and other prized professions of the ancient world by Vicki Leon
  • In the Greek city-state of Sybaris, the law required a year of advance notice for celebrations to allow the women to have a full year to shop for the perfect outfit.
  • Roman cities had public unisex bathrooms. Rome had 144. Under the toilet openings, ran continuous running water. Opposite of the toilet, ran another trough of running water. In that trough were the shared sponges-on-sticks for cleaning up.
  • In Rome, there were people who specialized in armpit plucking. Somewhere around 1 AD, Roman aristocrats interested in fashion, removed all of their body hair. Requirements for the profession were tweezers, a strong arm and the ability to deal with their customer's pain.
And now, I was tagged by Rusin Roundup for for a New Year's Resolution meme. To save space, to see all of the meme go here. But my New Year's resolution is to focus more on my writing. (By the way, my dream is to be a famous writer some day. I have several novels that I am working on. I only need to finish them and start the publishing process. "Only"-ha!)

And I couldn't help myself. I have to quote Terry Pratchett, who I have been reading.

- "Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."

No comments:

Post a Comment